to the gods

translateplease

Hi everyone, I’m sorry to only drop in for translation help but I wanted to get 2 tattoos in latin and I really don’t want them to be worded wrong.
The first is “to the gods” referring to multiple gods and no specific religion or one god. I saw on other places I could do “ad deorum” or “ad deos” but I’m not sure which is the right conjugation.
The second phrase is practically the same, “to the gods of death” again not referring to any religion or god themself. I got “ad deos mortis” or “ad deorum mortis” but still i’m not sure if these are right. If someone could please help me out with how to say those two phrases in latin it would be a big help!! thanks :)

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I would speak of declention rather than conjugation... But it's ok.

Both ad deorum and ad deos are, to some extent, grammatically feasible.
however, I wouldn't use ad deorum because it's too general. For instance, an example of this use of genitive is from Horace, who has: "ventum erat ad Vestae", signifying an arrival at a well-known "templum", the templum vestae. "ad deorum" means "at a temple of the gods", but we don't know what place we are referring to, unless the context can help us work out the meaning. Besides, this kind of genitive usually works only for proper nouns.
ad deos is better, because it means "to the gods": there's no ambiguity and we're totally ok with grammar.
Similarly for "ad mortis deos" and "ad mortis deorum".
So personally, not only I would never do a tatoo taking advice from a mouse but, I would choose ad deos or ad deos mortis.

In the middle ages and later some christian writerswould add the suffix -aster to the false gods or pretentious theologians.
Deus-> deaster
Theologus--> Theologaster
ad deastros would be the Christian rendering, which sounds a lot like a disaster ;):hi:

edit: correcting my terrible English.

Last edited:

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Ita est.

translateplease

I would speak of declention rather than conjugation... But it's ok.

Both ad deorum and ad deos are, to some extent, grammatically feasible.
however, I wouldn't use ad deorum because it's too general. For instance, an example of this use of genitive is from Horace, who has: "ventum erat ad Vestae", signifying an arrival at a well-known "templum", the templum vestae. "ad deorum" means "at a temple of the gods", but we don't know what place we are referring to, unless the context can help us work out the meaning. Besides, this kind of genitive usually works only for proper nouns.
ad deos is better, because it means "to the gods": there's no ambiguity and we're totally ok with grammar.
Similarly for "ad mortis deos" and "ad mortis deorum".
So personally, not only I would never do a tatoo taking advice from a mouse but, I would choose ad deos or ad deos mortis.

In the middle ages and later some christian writerswould add the suffix -aster to the false gods or pretentious theologians.
Deus-> deaster
Theologus--> Theologaster
ad deastros would be the Christian rendering, which sounds a lot like a disaster ;):hi:

edit: correcting my terrible English.
thank you so much for your help i really appreciate it :)

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'd prefer the dative:

to the gods >
dis deabusque omnibus
(dis: dat.pl. of deus masc.
deabus: dat. pl. of dea fem.)

to the gods of death >
dis deabusque inferis

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Seconded.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Using the dative is tantamount of saying "for the sake of the gods of death"... "deorum gratia". If this is what the original poster wanted to say...
When I said ad deos I thought the rationale behind the OP's alternatives was the same of other mottoes like "ad astra"

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I understand the original post as a dedication, then there has to be a dative. "ad deōs" implies "īre" (or other verb of motion towards), as in "ad astra". [the same is in my native conservative Indo-European language)
Numquid non omnia orta ad occasum "vergunt" vel potius "eunt"?