This is the Lord's doing; it is marvelous &c

A

Anonymous

HI, I'm new to the latin forum. I'm a law student in Glasgow but I'm actully looking for the latin for the phrase 'This is the Lord's doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.' It was apparently said by Elizabeth I in latin. I've no problem finding the quote in English, but can't find the latin and would like to include it in a card that I'm sending to a friend. Its also a biblical quote.

Could anyone please help with the latin.

Many thanks! :D

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Welcome to the forum :hi: I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Still, I have to insist that your translation request be made in the English to Latin translation forum.

A

Anonymous

Akela dixit:
Welcome to the forum :hi: I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Still, I have to insist that your translation request be made in the English to Latin translation forum.
Well thats not much of a welcome!
This is where I was sent when I logged in- maybe you should make it a bit clearer. For instance- the link you have provided takes me to a page for Latin to English. As you rightly pointed out I'm looking for English to Latin so what help is that?!

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Don't know about Elizabeth (being a good Catholic boy myself). But sounds like you're looking for Psalms cxviii: 23, which in the KJV (after Bess's time, of course) is rendered "This is the Lord's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes".

The Vulgate has A Domino factum est istud: et est mirabile in oculis nostris.

Welcome, and peace be with you.

SaepePecca

Iynx dixit:
But sounds like you're looking for Psalms cxviii: 23
In my copy it is 117:23 not 118:23, not sure if that was a typo or if it's just different texts. (and it is indeed a domino as you'd expect)

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

The difference in numeration is a longstanding problem, but easily explained. Traditionally, Greek texts and the Vulgate are one number behind Hebrew and Protestant versions between Psalms X and CXLVIII, because the former join together what the latter call IX and X, and also CXIV and CXV, but divide into two each what the latter call CXVI and CXLVIII.

In recent decades, the former usage has become general in English, even among Catholics.

Sa Seba

Consularis

• Consularis

First of all, welcome to the forum, Mark!

Mark Nolan dixit:
Well thats not much of a welcome!
This is where I was sent when I logged in- maybe you should make it a bit clearer. For instance- the link you have provided takes me to a page for Latin to English. As you rightly pointed out I'm looking for English to Latin so what help is that?!
Surely you understand that, to maintain lucidity, we need to seperate translations from introductions or general chat.

meankitty13

Ok, so granted its been ages since anyone posted in here, I came across this. Considering that Elizabeth was my true hero as a woman, I named my daughter for her, and I love Latin so much I am having this tattood on my rib cage, today as a matter of fact. I wanted to reiterate something to everyone. First, this may be a Psalm, however it was originally Matthaeus 21:42 and it goes:

dicit illis lesus numquam legistis in scripturis lapidem quem reprobaverunt aedificantes hic factus est in caput anguli a Domino factum est istud et est mirabile in oculis nostris.

Translates to:

Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders reject, The same is become of the head of the corner: this has been done by the Lord and it is marvelous in our eyes.

:) Like I said, I have loved this quote since I was a geeky 7 year old girl, dreaming of what that would be like, to have your life spared probably very close to your potential death. And to know that even though death is sad, it would give hope to your people finally who were being persecuted and tortured at every turn by a mad, and most likely very ill sister. The final clinch would be knowing that you would have to stand before the Church, and tell them to take a hike in a nice diplomatic way. All of those preceded with one infamous line, from Matthaeus I am rather sure, and not Psalm at that moment. There is a message in this passage, that Jesus said unto them Have you ever read the scriptures, The stone which the builders reject, the same is become of the head of the corner. I think that Elizabeth would have used this because it was what she wanted to accomplish for her people? To my people, are you ready for a change, the old ways are the ways of the past and are not for all, however we can build a new way together, and together it will be through our eyes and be marvelous for it is God that has given us the power to do so. (I really just translated this into my own thoughts just now, but Im guessing I may be right....)

Ciao all!