fiat mea causa

Hawkwood

• Civis

Fair enough. I won't contest grammar with a grammarian but will confess I am a bit flummoxed by your above reasoning.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Just to conclude the thread with a nice accent. I believe I found the source of the request (scene from Asterix comic in latin)

comic.jpg

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

How did you find that? The only hit on the internet I could find appeared to be meta tags.

Also, do we have access to the French original, which could settle the question?

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Ah, that's what I found. But being lazy, I used the search facility on the PDF, which of course didn't pick it up.

B

Bitmap

Do you know who translated it? I had a weird suspicion that it might have come from a German trying to translate the word 'meinetwegen' (or 'von mir aus') into Latin ... and I thought some of those comics had also been translated by Germans, but I'm not sure.

B

Bitmap

I really wonder if he was trying to say 'meinetwegen' ... as in 'I don't care', 'That's fine with me!', 'Whatever' ... and he kind of got it wrong when looking it up?! Maybe you need the German/French original for that :>

B

Bitmap

Actually I think I read 3 of his books ... oh, he died this year ...

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

... oh, he died this year ...
I didn't know that! :( ... that's very sad news. In the last hour, that's the second publicly known person I learnt has died... He was good! Sometimes (rarely) a typo or something appearing as a grammar mistake due to a mistype has remained in the Latin Asterixes, but it was a sort of thing one would remove in an X-th rereading, a mistake anybody could do when being tired, but, unfortunately, there are no Latin editors & correctors in the publishing houses, the Latin gets printed as it is written by the author.

That's terrible :( I have several of those physical books at home. Asterix (formerly in Czech) was a big part of my childhood.

At least Uderzo still lives (albeit he doesn't take part in the latest comic books anymore, he has passed the torch).

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

so maybe age?
in aspect of original french "D'accord!" = (OK, agreed, fine, very well). age / ut vis / bene or even fiat alone would propably fit best. Not sure how they got "fiat mea causa!" from "d'accord!" ( Bitmap already mentioned one possible reason)

The Latin title is Fossa Alta. I usually title the thread after the book I'm struggling with at the time but this one only had the one line that didn't quite click with me.

That's a shame about Rubricastellanus. Most of my threads here have been related to his Asterix translations. Whenever I've had doubts about his translations it's always been vindicated by the Latinists here, so I've learned to trust the translator.
There are one or two minor misprints in some of them here and there but the translation is always on point, as far as I can tell.

His Wiki page says he also did the art for the comics of De Bello Gallico and Metamorphoseon, both in Latin.