Toast: Here is to us and those like us... damn few left

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', Sep 4, 2006.

1. Imber Ranae Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    No problem.

The word "shall" is volitive in this kind of construction, so it's probably not best translated by the indicative in Latin.

I can't really answer this. You may of course pronounce it any way you want. The accentuation you suggested would have sounded strange to a Roman, however.

Oops. No, you're quite right. I actually read your *paucibus as paucis in my haste. Both endings are used for dative/ablative plural, but -ibus is only found with 3rd and 4th declension nouns and adjectives. Paucus is a 1st/2nd declension adjective, so it should of course be paucis.

Iynx actually already admitted that *paucibus was in error and made that correction above.

You wonder correctly. qu always has the w sound in Latin. I guess they were pronouncing it as if it were Spanish?
  2. Imber Ranae Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I suppose paucabus as a substantive could mean "to/for a few women", as distinct from paucis "to/for a few [people in general]". I've never seen the -abus termination on an adjective before, though.
  3. ilDue New Member

Why not extend this thread another year...

I thought I'd let all you scholars know I recently bought a "sabre" specifically meant to open bottles of champagne the old-fashioned way. Given the opportunity to engrave something pithy, I chose Latin for the expression. I watch Boardwalk Empire, saw the scene discussed here and searched for meaning to the phrase "Propinate nobis similibusque." So, in mid-2013, your nearly 7-year-old thread gave me all I sought and more. I confirmed the inscription straight away.

Thanks for the education!