Toast: Here is to us and those like us... damn few left

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', Sep 4, 2006.

1. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

No problem.

The word "shall" is volitive in this kind of construction, so it's probably not best translated by the indicative in Latin.

I can't really answer this. You may of course pronounce it any way you want. The accentuation you suggested would have sounded strange to a Roman, however.

Oops. No, you're quite right. I actually read your *paucibus as paucis in my haste. Both endings are used for dative/ablative plural, but -ibus is only found with 3rd and 4th declension nouns and adjectives. Paucus is a 1st/2nd declension adjective, so it should of course be paucis.

Iynx actually already admitted that *paucibus was in error and made that correction above.

You wonder correctly. qu always has the w sound in Latin. I guess they were pronouncing it as if it were Spanish?
  2. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

I suppose paucabus as a substantive could mean "to/for a few women", as distinct from paucis "to/for a few [people in general]". I've never seen the -abus termination on an adjective before, though.
  3. ilDue New Member

Why not extend this thread another year...

I thought I'd let all you scholars know I recently bought a "sabre" specifically meant to open bottles of champagne the old-fashioned way. Given the opportunity to engrave something pithy, I chose Latin for the expression. I watch Boardwalk Empire, saw the scene discussed here and searched for meaning to the phrase "Propinate nobis similibusque." So, in mid-2013, your nearly 7-year-old thread gave me all I sought and more. I confirmed the inscription straight away.

Thanks for the education!