Live each day as if it were your last

By Kitylvr920, in 'English to Latin Translation', Dec 19, 2010.

1. Kitylvr920 New Member

I want to get this tattooed on my back, but I would like to make sure I have the correct translation. My appointment is coming up soon, so any time soon would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
  2. Eden New Member

Perhaps I am off, but is the change in the common saying intended?
  3. Kitylvr920 New Member

Do you mean the fact that its a different wording of the phrase that is most usually heard, "carpe diem?" Yes, it is intended.
  4. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    No, rather the fact that most of the time the phrase goes "live each day as if it (i.e., today) were your last," whereas you said "tomorrow".

Sent via Tapatalk
  5. Eden New Member

Yes, this was what I meant. I mean, it is your choice, of course, I was just curious, since it will stuck with you for a long time.
  6. Kitylvr920 New Member

Yes, I intended the tomorrow rather than the today. I prefer tomorrow.
  7. Kitylvr920 New Member

I was actually told a long time ago that the saying I was looking for was "vive quoditie ut si ulimus hic esset tibi dies." But now that I am getting it on my body, I wanted to make absolutely certain that was what it actually said.
  8. Kitylvr920 New Member

Actually, if you could give me both "today" and "tomorrow" that would be greatly appreciated! I'm sorry that I am asking so much!
  9. Adamas New Member

I'd replace ut si with quasi, and ulimus should be ultimus. Otherwise this seems fine. To make it 'tomorrow,' replace hic with posterus.
  10. Kitylvr920 New Member

"Vive quoditie quasi ultimus posterus tibi dies." That sound about right for the tomorrow one?
  11. Decimus Canus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Watch out. Quoditie is a misspelling of quotidie meaning daily or every day. Other than that it means, "Live every day as if the following day is your last." I think that's pretty close to what you're asking for.
  12. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    From my translation in an earlier thread: per diem quemque vive quasi moriturus sis.
  13. Decimus Canus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    That's fine but it has no direct reference to tomorrow which is specifically what the OP requested.
  14. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    This can be achieved by adding proximo die after quasi.

In any case, the aim of translation is to capture a phrase's meaning, not fret over such details. Quasi moriturus sis and "as if tomorrow is your last day" correspond semantically, if not literally.
  15. Decimus Canus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Yes, I agree with all the above. Your translation is a good one of course; I just wanted Kitylvr920 to be aware of the specific point I made.
  16. JD81 New Member

Hi,

as with a lot of people i'm hoping to get a tattoo and was looking for help. I don't want to get carpe diem as a lot of people have this already. I was hoping for 'live each day as if it were your last' or 'live everyday as if it were your last'. I had been told 'vive omnem diem quasi cras sit ultimus' which I like, but was unsure if this was accurate? Or 'in diem velut supremum vive'. My other option is simply vive ut vivas......'live that you might live'?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jd
  17. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Use the search function.
  18. Manus Correctrix Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    That’s a perfectly fine literal translation, except that I’m not sure that a direct object for vive is permitted.
  19. Godmy Sun monkey

• Civis Illustris
    In one song the same phrase is translated roughly as:

Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum.

(believe, that the every day (dilucesco) has dawned on you as the last/highest one.)
  20. JD81 New Member

This topic seems to be the only one that specifically comes up in relation to the quote?